You know you have material to publish. You know you need to do it to grow the search engine rank and the customer interest in your website. But for some reason you just can’t get started. What’s the story?
The most likely excuses I can think of are:
- too much to do
- too little time
- don’t have the skills
- not convinced about why I should do it
- don’t know which channel is best
- writers block
- will anyone be interested
“God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind that I will never die.”Bill Watterson American cartoonist
I confess a few of these excuses almost stopped me from starting this blog. So how did I overcome the inertia of doing nothing? At the most basic level, I just picked something, made a commitment and started. And that’s what I’m encouraging you to do.
If you need help choosing a channel, ask questions. Contact me or another adviser to see what your options are.
Can’t write, don’t do videos, photos or podcasts! So what? If you have an interest in a subject area you can curate content. There are great tools to help the process. Tag a post as you read it and it’s available in Evernote, Springpad, Pocket, Readability or any number of other tools. Not sure which method / tool is best, call me or another adviser. Even better, create a free account and jump in the deep end.
If you have video material, YouTube is probably the most obvious place to upload it. But there are others. Perhaps still photos are more your style. Why not try Picasa, Flickr or some of the other photo sites. It costs nothing other than time to try. Ask an adviser for help as and when you need it.
There are any number of blogging platforms that you can use to hone your skill - Tumblr, Posterous, Blogger, Wordpress, etc. They each have some unique features but they have so much in common the final choice may have little consequence, particularly during a test period.
So what are you waiting for?
- Have you considered content aggregation as a form of content creation? (blog.midboh.com.au)
- Content doesn’t grow on trees, but … (blog.midboh.com.au)
- Protect your domain registration II (blog.midboh.com.au)
- Inexperienced writers often don’t have the right objective (blog.midboh.com.au)
- Interest centric social media - is it the new black? (blog.midboh.com.au)
- Is it time to start thinking like a publisher? (blog.midboh.com.au)